Prodigal Son
The past four months I've been thinking a lot about Jesus' story of Prodigal Son. In a real way, I've been a prodigal daughter these last 15 years. I now realize, like the father in the story, God has always been there waiting to welcome me back into his arms and cover me with his cloak of healing and forgiveness. The story speaks clearly to me now. I even bought a book a few months ago that discusses imagery and theological connections. I guess that was a start...baby steps. But there are many layers to Jesus' teachings . He is the Living Word. Dynamic and transformational, His Spirit waits for us to chose to look, listen and grow in real relationship with Him.
Yesterday my mom and I were walking in the grave yard where my gram is buried. I walk the dogs there quite frequently and get some exercise myself. I also think about Gram and meditate on what I learned from my relationship with her.
Before I continue, I have to admit to being a "know it all". Sometimes my insights and opinions are useful and correct. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me and I just react. To be honest, I tend to err on the side of thinking I'm right until proven wrong.
That day, while mom and I were walking that day, she started talking about my brother and casually mentioned he wanted to try to restart a job at which he had previously been employed on a part time basis. I was shocked and upset because I felt this was a big mistake. I started listing reasons why encouraging him to do this would be a form of unhealthy enabling. I explained why it wouldn't be prudent for her personally. Suddenly, the Prodigal Son story came into my thoughts. I realized my mother's total acceptance of, unconditional love for and tireless willingness to help my brother was a direct modeling of the father the story I thought I knew so well.
In the story of the Prodigal Son I remember the father running to embrace his younger son as he sees him coming up the path. He then hurrys to offer him everything he has without restraint. Meanwhile, the older son becomes angry. He gripes and bickers with his father questioning the wisdom of his father's actions. His jealousy blinds him to the authentic change of heart his brother's humble apology and surrender to his father's will belies. The father has quickly seen the truth in his younger son's plea for forgiveness because he is motivated only by unconditional love. In that love, the father beautifully replies to the elder, "My son, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."
I was stunned. I am the ungrateful and unforgiving elder "brother".
I know God wants me to be reconciled with my brother. I've been resistant to it because of the anger I've felt towards him in the past. After his heart attack, I felt God soften my heart towards him. Now I need to ask his forgiveness.
God help me take the next step.
Yesterday my mom and I were walking in the grave yard where my gram is buried. I walk the dogs there quite frequently and get some exercise myself. I also think about Gram and meditate on what I learned from my relationship with her.
Before I continue, I have to admit to being a "know it all". Sometimes my insights and opinions are useful and correct. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me and I just react. To be honest, I tend to err on the side of thinking I'm right until proven wrong.
That day, while mom and I were walking that day, she started talking about my brother and casually mentioned he wanted to try to restart a job at which he had previously been employed on a part time basis. I was shocked and upset because I felt this was a big mistake. I started listing reasons why encouraging him to do this would be a form of unhealthy enabling. I explained why it wouldn't be prudent for her personally. Suddenly, the Prodigal Son story came into my thoughts. I realized my mother's total acceptance of, unconditional love for and tireless willingness to help my brother was a direct modeling of the father the story I thought I knew so well.
In the story of the Prodigal Son I remember the father running to embrace his younger son as he sees him coming up the path. He then hurrys to offer him everything he has without restraint. Meanwhile, the older son becomes angry. He gripes and bickers with his father questioning the wisdom of his father's actions. His jealousy blinds him to the authentic change of heart his brother's humble apology and surrender to his father's will belies. The father has quickly seen the truth in his younger son's plea for forgiveness because he is motivated only by unconditional love. In that love, the father beautifully replies to the elder, "My son, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."
I was stunned. I am the ungrateful and unforgiving elder "brother".
I know God wants me to be reconciled with my brother. I've been resistant to it because of the anger I've felt towards him in the past. After his heart attack, I felt God soften my heart towards him. Now I need to ask his forgiveness.
God help me take the next step.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home