On the Edge
Being afraid of heights, I'm not a great fan of the edge of canyon trails, mountain overhangs, cresting the peak of a roller coaster, being perched at the head of an advanced ski run or approaching white water rapids. Every time a friend talks me into "high risk" adventures, my stomach drops and my toes curl as I stand on any edge realizing there is no way out. With my heart racing, I wonder wildly what possessed me to take such a risk. At that pivotal moment, I have to surrender...I have to trust. Taking a deep breath, I let go...flow... and fear is transformed into peaceful, focused exhilaration. Maybe my brain clicks into some kind of automatic survival mode. All I know is I suddenly feel a fierce joy, mental clarity and timeless peace. I've heard people like extreme sports because of this transcendent experience of being "outside of temporal reality". Surrender to forces greater than ourself is a way to experience spiritual reality.
This weekend, I'm poised on the edge of "The Work World" and am about to pass the tipping point. I feel nervous and exhilarated. I'm not sure where the snags in the rapids are or if any boulders will come loose on the climb. I wonder if I'll be able to negotiate the turns without falling. But I've got my eyes, ears, and hopefully, my heart wide open to God's will. My mind is quickly focusing. And, happily, I'm in jolly company. Yes, it's going to be a fast run this month.
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!
This weekend, I'm poised on the edge of "The Work World" and am about to pass the tipping point. I feel nervous and exhilarated. I'm not sure where the snags in the rapids are or if any boulders will come loose on the climb. I wonder if I'll be able to negotiate the turns without falling. But I've got my eyes, ears, and hopefully, my heart wide open to God's will. My mind is quickly focusing. And, happily, I'm in jolly company. Yes, it's going to be a fast run this month.
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home