Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fruits of a Good Heart

No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.

- Luke 6:43-45

Boy, do I need to integrate this truth into my life from this day onward. I've been on a downward spiral the last month. God provides instruction every time I need it. His blessing is a gift that needs be taken to heart and not lightly.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet the small birds build their nest amongst the torns of the Choia (cactus). Are they not fruit of the earth, is the cactus not good. Its is foolish to elect wisdom from prophetic duality. And yes I'm pulling the chain you wear. Sober up before you crash it.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Michelle Coder said...

I'm not interpreting these verses from a dualistic concept of pure good and evil. I don't think that is what the verse is about. The writer assumes he is speaking to a educated Greek and Jewish audience who are already aware no person is completely good just as no person is completely evil. I think the good and evil Luke refers to are the ego centered and/or other centered thoughts we allow to grow in our minds. Just as a tree is known by the fruits it bears so is the truth of the condition of our heart known by our every day deeds and words.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home