The Middle Ages
Historically, "The Middle Ages", also called "The Dark Ages", were followed by "The Renaissance" or "The Age of Enlightenment". Is it possible for those of us over 35 years old to pay heed to this historical development of human consciousness? Can we ride the rapid of mid-life crisis and come out the other side more creative and enlightened?
I am being struck rather forcibly right now by our societies absolute horror of age. Age is advertised as a disease. We are compelled to desperately fight it tooth and nail...that is, fight it tooth whitener and nail design. Several liposuctions, tucks, injections, dermabrasions, tanning salon visits, youthful attire and anti-aging creams later, attempts by middle aged folks to freeze time leave most with artificially plumped and frozen expressions, a ridiculous wardrobe and empty pocket books.
I'm really struggling with a growing irritation with the superficiality I'm seeing across the board concerning the preference for youth and youthful appearance in our culture. I'm also struggling with my own desire to prolong a slowly altering youthful appearance. There is no wisdom in being driven by a fear of age and death. God help me focus on more creative and productive thoughts like living a healthier life style and loving others.
I liked the following article in which the author discusses what the term middle aged really means today. It's rather funny.
Halfway Humanity
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/magazine/06wwln-safire-t.html?ref=magazine
This is also an interesting Wisdom survey...though one you can easily cheat on. Or would that be wise?
Wisdom Survey
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/magazine/20070430_WISDOM.html
I am being struck rather forcibly right now by our societies absolute horror of age. Age is advertised as a disease. We are compelled to desperately fight it tooth and nail...that is, fight it tooth whitener and nail design. Several liposuctions, tucks, injections, dermabrasions, tanning salon visits, youthful attire and anti-aging creams later, attempts by middle aged folks to freeze time leave most with artificially plumped and frozen expressions, a ridiculous wardrobe and empty pocket books.
I'm really struggling with a growing irritation with the superficiality I'm seeing across the board concerning the preference for youth and youthful appearance in our culture. I'm also struggling with my own desire to prolong a slowly altering youthful appearance. There is no wisdom in being driven by a fear of age and death. God help me focus on more creative and productive thoughts like living a healthier life style and loving others.
I liked the following article in which the author discusses what the term middle aged really means today. It's rather funny.
Halfway Humanity
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/magazine/06wwln-safire-t.html?ref=magazine
This is also an interesting Wisdom survey...though one you can easily cheat on. Or would that be wise?
Wisdom Survey
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/magazine/20070430_WISDOM.html
Labels: Ruminations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home