Ceaseless Prayer
I'm reading this interesting book that takes the reader on a armchair retreat. I guess the book could be used on a real retreat as well. I'd like to take some time out each day and read each section as a mini-retreat. Anyway, the theme of the book is ceaseless prayer.
I've been thinking and reading about prayer a lot lately because I and a friend are starting a prayer line at church. God has laid it on my heart to do this in reponse to what I felt was a need in the church. Now that my pastors son is ill in the hospital that need is direct and immediate. When my friend and I began to meet about the prayer line we realized, as leaders of this prayer line. we might be asked about prayer. So I'm trying to figure out what I believe prayer is.
The premise of the book is if we learn to pray throughout the day our lives become a prayer in, by and through God's love. Ceaseless prayer is living eternally in God's Word. It is intentional. It is a mindful surrender to God's will with the intention of developing a listening and responsive spirit. In this sense, rather than asking God favors, we ask God how he will use us in each situation. Pray is thus a dynamic and proactive state of being rather than a meaningless religious activity or superstitious ritual of appeasement or supplication.
Blessings!
I've been thinking and reading about prayer a lot lately because I and a friend are starting a prayer line at church. God has laid it on my heart to do this in reponse to what I felt was a need in the church. Now that my pastors son is ill in the hospital that need is direct and immediate. When my friend and I began to meet about the prayer line we realized, as leaders of this prayer line. we might be asked about prayer. So I'm trying to figure out what I believe prayer is.
The premise of the book is if we learn to pray throughout the day our lives become a prayer in, by and through God's love. Ceaseless prayer is living eternally in God's Word. It is intentional. It is a mindful surrender to God's will with the intention of developing a listening and responsive spirit. In this sense, rather than asking God favors, we ask God how he will use us in each situation. Pray is thus a dynamic and proactive state of being rather than a meaningless religious activity or superstitious ritual of appeasement or supplication.
Blessings!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home