Monday, August 21, 2006

The Guest House

The Catholic school at which I'm going to be substitute teaching for the next 4 months had a retreat at a local convent today. The retreat facilitator spoke with an emotional openness, spiritual intensity, humble assurance and comfort with practical mysticism that exists, in part, in the church I'm attending (thanks Nate!) but, sadly, I am finding is rare in most Protestant settings. I've observed lately many Protestants fear the mystical aspects of Christianity. This is very weird because they regularly, and without a second thought, partake of the body and blood of Christ in ritualistic communion. The topic of the Holy Spirit is also approached with caution in all but Apostolic and Charismatic churches. Again, this is ironic because Christ's gift of the Holy Spirit (a guide and helper) to those who surrender to God's will through Christ is central in Christ's teachings and part of the greater purpose behind his death and resurrection. As my pastor said this last Sunday, one has to be emotionally open to building a relationship with the Holy Spirit so one can learn how to better listen to and trust his guidance even if it seems illogical.

But...getting back to the facilitator...

The retreat experience was refreshing and very comfortable for me because the facilitator was able to actualize her intention to create a sacred space thought meditation on the concept of Hospitality. Some of the activities she had the staff participate in were much like those I have experienced in Eastern and "New Age" traditions and have always found touching and spiritually relevant. I was profoundly moved by the experience and am still digesting this spiritual meal. Praise God for providing answers in unexpected places.

The facilitator read various excellent quotes and scriptures to illustrate her teaching. One of these was the following quote by the Sufi mystic Rumi. I value Rumi's insights and I relate to this quote because the process of letting go, disorientation, pain, anger and mourning I am still experiencing is something I welcome because I understand it is a process of healing.

The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and attend all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture, still,
treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

Jelaluddin Rumi (1207-1273)
The Essential Rumi
By Coleman Barks, NY, 1995

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home