Self-Esteem
The Sunday before last, a nice guy at church made a comment that I looked like someone in the media. I'm sure it was a compliment but after he left, and before I could stop myself, I made a self-depreciating remark to another guy friend. The negative comment just popped out. My polite companion was rather stunned and quickly reassuring. Unfortunately, my thoughtless comment was the kind that echoes in the memory. Hmm... "Why did I do that", I thought ruefully.
Looking back over the last four years, I think I've made several other ill timed, self-depreciating remarks in response to compliments. Despite my "foot-in-mouth" lapses, I am actually well aware putting myself down in any manner lessens me in the eyes of others and actually insults the person who made the compliment. Not good! So, I'm not entirely sure why I can't control my occasional, cynical outbursts and why I have a hard time accepting compliments graciously. Perchance, I'm suffering a pernicious bout of low self-esteem and need a large dose of healthy thinking?
I happened to read an article on Hotmail News today...not my favorite source for solid information... but the article from which the excerpt below was extracted was pretty good...and I found not one but eight healthy solutions.
Eight thinking patterns that support healthy self-esteem
By Steve Nakamoto
Self-esteem reflects whether a person loves, accepts, and believes in who they are. The simplest way to raise a person's self-esteem is to improve that person's way of thinking. This isn't necessarily easy, but improved self-esteem can result by adopting these eight new thinking patterns:
1. Rediscover and reaffirm your personal strengths
2. Figure out the hidden strengths in your so-called weaknesses
3. Make a long list of your personal breakthroughs
4. Avoid negative comparisons
5. Stop the critic inside of you
6. Quit blaming yourself for mistakes in the past
7. Have more compassion for yourself
8. Be your own cheerleader
And I'll add...praise God for showing you answers even on the internet (:
Looking back over the last four years, I think I've made several other ill timed, self-depreciating remarks in response to compliments. Despite my "foot-in-mouth" lapses, I am actually well aware putting myself down in any manner lessens me in the eyes of others and actually insults the person who made the compliment. Not good! So, I'm not entirely sure why I can't control my occasional, cynical outbursts and why I have a hard time accepting compliments graciously. Perchance, I'm suffering a pernicious bout of low self-esteem and need a large dose of healthy thinking?
I happened to read an article on Hotmail News today...not my favorite source for solid information... but the article from which the excerpt below was extracted was pretty good...and I found not one but eight healthy solutions.
Eight thinking patterns that support healthy self-esteem
By Steve Nakamoto
Self-esteem reflects whether a person loves, accepts, and believes in who they are. The simplest way to raise a person's self-esteem is to improve that person's way of thinking. This isn't necessarily easy, but improved self-esteem can result by adopting these eight new thinking patterns:
1. Rediscover and reaffirm your personal strengths
2. Figure out the hidden strengths in your so-called weaknesses
3. Make a long list of your personal breakthroughs
4. Avoid negative comparisons
5. Stop the critic inside of you
6. Quit blaming yourself for mistakes in the past
7. Have more compassion for yourself
8. Be your own cheerleader
And I'll add...praise God for showing you answers even on the internet (:
Labels: Ruminations

2 Comments:
i myself have suffered from low-points of self-esteem and i know how draining it can be.
those words by nakamoto are good ones.
i have suffered from low-points of self esteem, and i know draining it can be.
those words by nakamoto are good ones.
Post a Comment
<< Home