Saturday, July 29, 2006

Prayer and Petition

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Phillipians 4:4-7

I had a good talk with my cousin Derek tonight. In fact, mom and I ended up hogging him to ourselves the entire visit, much to the chagrin of the rest of the family. This the first time I've talked with him as a fellow Believer. Thank you, Derek, for spending your entire visit with us!

Derek shared the above verse with us tonight and I found it really applied to where I am right now. I currently have some unresolved issues in my life, God dislodged an emotional avalanche this year and my recent accident apparently unleashed some more good stuff to work through. All this makes me feel uncomfortable. My natural tendency is to want to try to solve what I perceive as problems as quickly as possible so any yucky feelings of unsettledness will stop. In the past, I would have stifled unsettling emotions, shut down emotionally and chosen the safest route. Not now. I've been charged to keep my heart, mind and soul open to God's will. That's a harder path but a healthier choice.

Well...so have I trusted God this week? Nope. I continued to fret, imagined several horrid scenarios and felt distracted by my 'need' to reach some resolution. After reading through Phillipians, I meditated on my problems last night and this morning and realized I need to see 'resolutions' in a different light. As the verse above reminds me, prayer is a better choice and the best way to calm my overactive mind. The questions I need to ask then are can I thank God for what he has given me and be truly grateful? Can I surrender to his will and look to him when I'm in need of comfort and courage?

Thanks Derek! The above verse applies BIG TIME to me this week.

Rejoice!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home