Friday, July 21, 2006

Memory Lane Carwash

I'm going through the Memory Lane Carwash this week. My consciousness is getting drenched and washed by memories of good times with good friends. The influx of memories seem to be a clear sign that I need to contact people...or maybe, I just need a vacation. I am developing a pretty strong hankering to go hiking and/or rent a humble cabin near Mendocino and hang out for the weekend by myself with a good book, some tea and my digital camera. Hmm...

So why all the memories? Good question. Cleaning and sorting my books has been like opening a time capsule. I've got books as far back as 3rd grade in my collection and so many of the best books were given to me by friends. When I turn them over to clean them I remember each gift giver (or lender...oops!). I see their faces, hear their laughter and remember the funny and amazing things they did and the profound impact they had on my personal vision of the life, God and the world.

My friends are a lot of fun. They tease, laugh, played tirelessly, talk for hours and support my goofy and creative endeavors. They share my love for philosophizing and nature and many have helped me appreciate the beauty in simpler things...simpler ways of living, the deeper meaning of being spiritual and loving God. My older friends challenged me with beauty I couldn't see when my heart had been wounded and my sight had turned inward. They cared enough to look deeper, forgive my faults and help me climb back into the light. I wasn't always thankful. I remember being kind of mad when certain friends forced me to do things I thought were too challenging. It has been years later, day by day, even just today, that I have begun to understand some of the selfless and beautifully compassionate gifts my friends so freely gave and continue to give. I need to explore and acknowledge those gifts.

So blessings to the friends God has brought into my life and who have changed my life for the better. We are truly shaped by the love we share. As a dear and patient friend recently taught me, God gives us the gift of His gracious love, and asks us to open our hearts to that love, so we can truly and compassionately love other people and thereby learn to love ourselves and God.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home