Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Honor Your Father And Mother

Romans 12: 9 - 21

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.


This verse resonated with me today as I was thinking about a conversation I had with our music school's custodian. He's a nice Christian guy in his late 30s, single, currently having a rough time socially and is very lonely and depressed. He watched my production of "Beauty and the Beast" Friday and the story must have "hit a nerve". He's always been pretty friendly with me but was uncharacteristically talkative when we were cleaning up afterwards and suddenly started sharing his life story. Sensing the direction the conversation might take, my first instinct was to politely excuse myself and hit the door at a run, but then I remembered I'm not 12 years old anymore and maybe a mature response would be a better choice. At that instant, I received a blessing and suddenly recognized this was an opportunity for me to have the courage to share God's love with this lonely man. We ended up having a positive discussion about how God can use us in any situation or job, however humble. I shared how God had used the menial jobs I'd done as a newspaper carrier, care giver and orchard worker to teach me to appreciate a simplier way of life...how there is great beauty in the world if we just look for it...how we cannot fully know the purpose God has for us on earth. We always think God has some grand plan for our lives, but God's greatest plan could be for us to make an impact on just one person. It came out that this fellow also works with disabled, elderly people...a population that is in desperate need of love and care. He left the theater smiling and more hopeful. I felt blessed by this conversation and by God's power and love.

Fast forward to yesterday.

Ephesians 6:1-4

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother" - which is the first commandment with a promise - "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." Fathers do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.


I find it's easier to be considerate and loving to people who aren't related to me. Yesterday I made a rather rude comment to my mom about my having to do something I shouldn't have had to do. I was frustrated, but I realized afterwards (as is often the case) that no matter what, I should have the greatest consideration, honor and unconditional love for my family and those I live with. That includes speaking in a loving manner. Thinking about the challenges of compassionate behavior brought to mind the above verse and the prayer of St. Francis... a prayer I've always loved.

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home