Mother's and Sons
So...I'm driving with my mom yesterday criticizing one of my student's mothers for allowing her 10 year old son to sit on her lap when he's feeling shy in the lesson and totally treating him like a baby. I went on for about 15 minutes talking about the book I've been reading "Healing the Masculine Soul", and how I'm now really aware of the need for mothers to allow their sons to disengage from a psychological dependency on the mother and allow them to enter the father's world. My mom just nodded and smiled. Then she asked me about Teddy, who happened to be snuggled against me in the car. He glanced sideways at me with a smile, gave me a lick and snuggled closer.
Mom said, "You kind of spoil Teddy".
"Well", I said, "He's a dog and he's only three years old".
"That's pretty old for a dog."
"Well...". I thought quickly, "OK, in dog to human years he'd be 21 but really he has about the intelligence of a three year old human child so...hmm?" I affectionately stroked Ted's furry red head and he smiled again.
Mom nodded, "Yes, but you let him crawl on your lap like a tiny puppy and he's pretty clingy."
I was starting to get where she was going with this conversation.
"O.K. so maybe I spoil him."
"And baby him", Mom added.
"Yeah", I capitulated.
"So you're one to criticize."
Why don't I learn not to criticize others? God always nails me!
Mom said, "You kind of spoil Teddy".
"Well", I said, "He's a dog and he's only three years old".
"That's pretty old for a dog."
"Well...". I thought quickly, "OK, in dog to human years he'd be 21 but really he has about the intelligence of a three year old human child so...hmm?" I affectionately stroked Ted's furry red head and he smiled again.
Mom nodded, "Yes, but you let him crawl on your lap like a tiny puppy and he's pretty clingy."
I was starting to get where she was going with this conversation.
"O.K. so maybe I spoil him."
"And baby him", Mom added.
"Yeah", I capitulated.
"So you're one to criticize."
Why don't I learn not to criticize others? God always nails me!
Labels: Ruminations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home