Pearls and Swine
Matthew 7: 6
"Do not give dog what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you pieces."This verse has always bothered me because I thought it suggested not to waste your time sharing God's word with people who can't believe. Thinking about it again, that is kind of the main idea of the verse...ie. that people who are hard hearted and choosing to remain blind in a worldly sense cannot understand the Gospel. Christ's divinity and the Gospel does sound like nonsense to such folks.
The verses surrounding verse 6 add more perspective.
In verses 7:1-5, Jesus teaches not to judge others. "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Verse 7: 6 "Do not give dog what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you pieces."
In verses 7:7 - 14 Jesus teaches:
1) If anyone knocks and seeks the truth they will find
2) God feeds us when we ask him to help us therefore "do unto others as you would have them do unto you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"
3) "...small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
So...
Don't judge others
I am not to judge those who are blind or struggling but realize I most probably am blinded by a "beam" in my own eye, therefore I'm unable to clearly see, or discern, anothers "speck". I must ask God to remove the beam (perhaps of pride) from my eyes before I can help my brothers.
Hardened unbelievers cannot understand what is sacred or holy words and can become frustrated, angry and dangerous.
Dog and pigs are intelligent creatures but they are primarily controlled by herd or pack hierarcy and their appetites. They always seem to be hungry and negotiating for positions of power. If dogs and pigs are starving and are given something they think may be food but it turns out to be something they can't eat they may fly into a frenzy or rage and hurt or kill their caregiver. For instance, if my someone forgets to feed my dogs, in their hungry frenzy for food and even though they respect me, I have to remind them not to fight, try to get the treat first or bite my hand when I feed them treats. Likewise unbelievers tend to be driven by a desire for power and worldy appetites. The world does not offer true power, fullness or satisfaction and so these folks are always starving spiritually and emotionally. When I share my belief through witnessing or read the Bible to them it sounds like a silly fantasy and does not "feed" them. Their hardened hearts prevent them from hearing, seeing and accepting God's transforming power. Therefore they are not open to sacred truth, their hunger is not satisfied and in their emptiness they become enraged and strike out.
My question is in what other ways can I feed these people?
Ask God for help and he will answer and nourish youLike a father, God is willing to help me if I ask for his help. By asking God to help me, and those who are hardened against him, I accept his nourishment through Jesus, the Bread of Life (John 6:35)
Treat people the way you want to be treated
My greatest desire is to be loved unconditionally and eternally. Jesus offers this incredible gift to me and this is the way I must treat others. As Christians we are to deeply and sincerely love each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. Being and sharing Christ's love unconditionally in true friendship is the way we can reach out to those who are hurting and blinded by the world. Through Christ's Love and the power of his Holy Spirit hardened hearts can break open and the blind can see.
Eternal life can be found by chosing the "narrow gate" and by walking the "narrow path"
Choosing to walk Christ's path is a challenge because we are choosing to both live outside and in the world at the same time. Living outside the world means I submit daily to Jesus and am willing to give up anything He asks me to give up. That's a hard truth. Am I willing to give up loved ones, my sweet Aussies, my career, my lifestyle, my talents, my personal dreams, my life? I'm only begining to know "the narrow path" and how God is using me but I do completely understand the seriousness of my decision to follow Jesus. Frankly, it sometimes scares me and I cry about what I might be asked to give up. I cry because as I surrender I feel a longing arise for beautiful things I never desired before, things like a loving husband, a home, a family, a "normal" life. At the same time I realize I need to let go of those sweet and healthy desires and accept that they may not be God's plan for me. How painfully ironic. I've been struggle with that lately. And...in this emotional mix I also realize God's purpose is more potentially beautiful and fulfilling and I really can trust in Christ's amazing Love. God help me keep my eyes on you and help my mind relax and trust your Love, compassion and wisdom.
Labels: Ruminations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home