Sunday, July 23, 2006

Preach Always! When Necessary Use Words

St Francis of Assisi

I was touched by the sermon this Sunday because it was on a subject that I feel is extremely important...the church (those who have submitted to Christ as their Savior) and evangelism (what it means to truly share one’s life and God’s Love with those who are seeking). In short, Nate spoke about surrendering to each daily encounter with others with the full realization God gives us the strength to keep our eyes on him while he shares his love for his creation through us. It is not we who save others. We are instruments of God’s transforming Love.

I understand it is God who saved me and not those Christians who demonstrated God’s love. The loving and honest Believers God brought into my life were, and are, spiritual catalysts, supportive friends, lanterns in the dark, beautifully imperfect human reflective surfaces.

Last year, when I was in despair and blind to God and his Word, I was drawn to the light and kindness I saw in a Believers eyes. Because I sensed the reality of God's love in him, I could listen to what he said even when I didn’t agree. I wanted to try to understand because I began to trust him. I trusted him because I sensed he was being honest about a deeply felt belief, he openly shared his doubts and weaknesses, accepted me where I was at and wasn’t judgmental. If he didn’t agree with me he was silent but it was a compassionate silence I understood to mean he just didn’t agree with my perspective and also didn’t think less of me. I felt respected and that helped me respect him as a person. Being able to trust and respect at least one believer in Christ was key to my being able to listen. But more than that, my heart was drawn to the spiritual light I saw reflected in my friend's eyes. Memories of my previous relationship with God were stirred, and deep in my soul I began to long for what I had lost. Beyond my conscious control, my soul flew to that light and toward healing. God is always patiently waiting for us to accept the healing Love he freely offers. I know... I keep talking and writing and talking more about this spiritual transformation because I’m trying to understand what happened, and what is still happening. I'm just flat out amazed by this experience.

Maybe God chooses to demonstrate his Love through the loving actions of people because when we are not in Love with God our minds are blinded by the pain of that separation. When I was in rebellion from God, I couldn’t read the Bible without becoming angry. Many verses seemed illogical and contradictory and no amount of preaching could have reached me. I really was spiritually blind and deaf because now, when I read or hear the same verses that sickened me, I interprete them entirely differently. I believe the Holy Spirit broke through my defenses, healed my blindness and helped me see the Bible as truly the Living Word.

As I was listening to Nate today talk about the way Jesus completely accepted all people where they were at, I began to wonder how people reacted to Jesus. It's awe-full to imagine meeting Jesus and feeling his total love and acceptance? Did people immediately trust him? The poorest outcast to Pontius Pilate believed what he said. Once someone believed and trusted Jesus did they began to wonder, “Who is this man”? Then, as they wondered, did their hearts mysteriously open? Did they feel pain as God transformed their life? I've begun to suspect the degree of pain felt when God asks us to surrender to Him depends on the degree to which we are resistant to God will. I think this is, in part, why the Holy Spirit exists...to comfort those who feel pain, help us fully surrender to God’s will and then act within us as our guide.

When I surrendered to God it was both intensely beautiful and painful, emotionally disorienting and not a rational process. I didn't want to surrender my will to another being. By God’s grace, the Holy Spirit stood compassionately between my reason and my heart until I could no longer bear the physical manifestation of my spiritual pain. Finally, letting go, I spun into a disorienting freefall and felt my "self" die. This is a mystery I can’t explain, but maybe the self that died was the progeny of man’s choice to separate him/herself from spiritual union with God long ago. By dying through Christ, and accepting God's unconditional love and his total forgiveness of human sin, I receive his eternal gift of renewed Life. Is this the mystery of being born again... born again out of the ashes as God’s love continues to grow, height depth and breadth, in my heart, mind and soul? I am a child of God and, like all children, as I grow there is often pain. I'm thankful for these growing pains because they tell me where I am resisting God's will. This is Truth. Through God's Love and by the grace of His Holy Spirit, I am able to completely believe in the reality of God’s redemption of mankind through the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ.

I can talk about all that until I'm blue in the face but, as Nate asked last week, what are we saved for? We need to act not just talk. I was trying to find the above quote by St. Francis and ran across an essay written by Raymond Finch, MM. Finch writes about the church's commission from a Catholic perspective. http://www.sedos.org/english/Raymond.htm

“Proclamation is the permanent priority of mission. But, if that Proclamation is to be authentic, it must always be thoroughly intertwined with witness, human liberation, dialogue and prayer. It must be authentic both in content and in style, marked by humility, vulnerability and a total rejection of false power and security. It must be a living out of as well as a verbal Proclamation of the Gospel. It is only, when we have learned to proclaim and explain, gently and respectfully, the reason for the hope in our heart, that we will be prepared to make disciples of all nations.

”Venerate the Lord, that is, Christ in your hearts. Should anyone ask you the reason for this hope of yours be ever ready to reply, but speak gently and respectfully" (1 Peter 3:15-16).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home