An Incredible Food Experience
I am not a big "food person" and usually eat just to keep going. I think my lack of appreciation for food is the result of not having eaten really well prepared food during my young life and not having had the time as an adult to develop sensitive and creative cooking skills. But, on occasion, I have had a "Food Experience" that makes me appreciate food in an entirely new way. Today was one of those days.
After church this afternoon, my mom and I went down to Davis to check out some costumes for our upcoming production of Beauty and the Beast. When we got there I was starving. We drove around the warehouse section of the city for a half hour looking for some simple place to get some food before low blood sugar kicked in. Finally we saw a little pastry place called Konditorei and hurridly pulled in.What followed was the most satisfying food experience I've had in 20 years.
As we innocently walked in a half hour before their 1:00 pm Sunday closing time, I noticed this was an Austrian Pastry Cafe run by Austrian chef, Albert Kutternig. I was initially stunned by the few remaining beautiful and delicious pastries still in the display case. I assumed the cafe experienced a daily morning onslaught of hungry clients. I then saw a newspaper article displayed on the wall that stated our Austrian Govinator got his birthday cakes there. I suspected we were in a special place. We stepped up to the counter and ordered a moderately priced strawberry crepe (to share), two bowls of potato-leek soup and a chai latte. That seemed innocent enough and not as indulgent as we could have been surrounded, as we were, by beautiful and imaginative Austrian pastries, rich chocolate works of art, elaborate truffles and amazing fruit tartes. I sat down with the crepe and began to eat rather hurriedly.
After a few bites I realized I had slowed down to relish each spoonful. The crepe was beautifully presented with a side of vanilla sauce and berry relish. The berries were unusually tarte and crunchy, the sauce was delicately sweet, the crepe's cream filling was sweet without being overwhelming. I tasted subtle flavors and quality ingredients. My tastebuds celebrated and my soul sang with what was fast becoming a spiritual exuberance. I realized I was consuming a work of art truly cooked with care and love.
I stopped and looked for further evidence of 4 star status at 2 star prices. Yes, the decorations, the table setting and fine woodwork decorating the cafe were selected with care and thoughtfulness. I tasted my Chai Latte and, again, it was the best Chai Latte I've ever had. Then the soup came. I was prepared now for something special. As I took my first spoonful, I acknowledged this was the best potato-leek soup I would ever eat in my life. Again, the flavors were subtle, the ingredients fresh, the soup perfectly prepared and incredibly satsifying. I did not feel hungry after eating the moderately sized bowlful and lovely chewy piece of homemade bread. The aftertaste was so amazing, I didn't want to pollute my tastebuds with lesser fare for as long as possible.
In a 20 minute period of time my world was shaken by a bowl of potato-leek soup, a Chai Latte and a strawberry crepe. I'll never be the same.
For more information on Konditorei check out www.konditoreidavis.com
After church this afternoon, my mom and I went down to Davis to check out some costumes for our upcoming production of Beauty and the Beast. When we got there I was starving. We drove around the warehouse section of the city for a half hour looking for some simple place to get some food before low blood sugar kicked in. Finally we saw a little pastry place called Konditorei and hurridly pulled in.What followed was the most satisfying food experience I've had in 20 years.
As we innocently walked in a half hour before their 1:00 pm Sunday closing time, I noticed this was an Austrian Pastry Cafe run by Austrian chef, Albert Kutternig. I was initially stunned by the few remaining beautiful and delicious pastries still in the display case. I assumed the cafe experienced a daily morning onslaught of hungry clients. I then saw a newspaper article displayed on the wall that stated our Austrian Govinator got his birthday cakes there. I suspected we were in a special place. We stepped up to the counter and ordered a moderately priced strawberry crepe (to share), two bowls of potato-leek soup and a chai latte. That seemed innocent enough and not as indulgent as we could have been surrounded, as we were, by beautiful and imaginative Austrian pastries, rich chocolate works of art, elaborate truffles and amazing fruit tartes. I sat down with the crepe and began to eat rather hurriedly.
After a few bites I realized I had slowed down to relish each spoonful. The crepe was beautifully presented with a side of vanilla sauce and berry relish. The berries were unusually tarte and crunchy, the sauce was delicately sweet, the crepe's cream filling was sweet without being overwhelming. I tasted subtle flavors and quality ingredients. My tastebuds celebrated and my soul sang with what was fast becoming a spiritual exuberance. I realized I was consuming a work of art truly cooked with care and love.
I stopped and looked for further evidence of 4 star status at 2 star prices. Yes, the decorations, the table setting and fine woodwork decorating the cafe were selected with care and thoughtfulness. I tasted my Chai Latte and, again, it was the best Chai Latte I've ever had. Then the soup came. I was prepared now for something special. As I took my first spoonful, I acknowledged this was the best potato-leek soup I would ever eat in my life. Again, the flavors were subtle, the ingredients fresh, the soup perfectly prepared and incredibly satsifying. I did not feel hungry after eating the moderately sized bowlful and lovely chewy piece of homemade bread. The aftertaste was so amazing, I didn't want to pollute my tastebuds with lesser fare for as long as possible.
In a 20 minute period of time my world was shaken by a bowl of potato-leek soup, a Chai Latte and a strawberry crepe. I'll never be the same.
For more information on Konditorei check out www.konditoreidavis.com

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home