Saturday, November 17, 2007

Faith Mentors

We participate in the possibility of becoming faith mentors by opening our lives to God at work in us and nurturing our own spiritual journeys. We live as if we are faith mentors, and we use our skills and faith on behalf of others in the hope that God will work through us for their growth in faith. With humility, we provide guidance and discernment for those who are seeking for meaning in their lives. And we live in the hope that others will experience us as faith mentors, knowing it is not a title we may claim for ourselves.

- Sondra Higgins MatthaeiFaith Matters

My mom and I were just talking today about how the faith we experience in Christ cannot be explained. Even when our minds range through questions and doubts drift past, our belief that Jesus is who he said he is stands firm...an ever fixed point. I didn't always have this kind of faith. It happened after I submitted my will to God. I believe this inexplicable faith was a gift of the Holy Spirit and rebirth through grace.

So when I read the above quote tonight it made sense. I guess you could interprete the above "faith mentor" discussion as someone saying they have it all together and they want to lay their superior faith on anyone who is polite enough to listen. I would have read it that way before I experienced the gift of faith...a gift I did not deserve and did nothing to attain. I know I was given the gift of faith because God wants me to share it with confidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home