Intelligence Versus Toughness
If someone (be it voter or political pundit) is looking for an excuse to not support Obama then it makes sense they would try to build a case that he is "elitist" and "out of touch" based on one analytical statement he made at a private meeting. (It's interesting no one has questioned who recorded his statements, why they did so, how much they got paid and who paid them. I think those of us in our 40s sometimes forget everyone has a recording device now-a-days and is out to make a buck. Oh, for the good old days.)
However, if one takes a moment to see the broader picture not offered by the media and public officials (and does not trust public personalities implicitly), then one could question whether Obama's life and work demonstrates he is "elitist" and "out of touch". Hmmm....He was born in a lower middle class family and had a single mom. He went to suburban public schools most of his young life. He was attracted to working with underprivileged people much of his young life. His campaign goal is to empower and educate voters who don't usually vote. He is a social progressive. He is for establishing measures of control over corporations and the out-sourcing of jobs overseas. He wants to rebuild the infrastructure of the country. He'd like everyone to have health care and personal rights. He seems to be a genuinely spiritual person who can have an intelligent and deeply thoughtful discussion about theology and faith. By golly, he seems to be interested in most of the concerns rural middle class folks might have.
Maybe the problem with Obama is he tends to be too honest. He makes analytical statements without thinking about whether they would be good sound bites. And maybe he is too articulate for some. I don't say that in any demeaning way. But Obama comes across as an educated, intelligent, articulate person. I don't think he acts intelligent to be off putting. I don't think he is using a large vocabulary to demean those who have not had the opportunities for education Obama's relatives worked hard to provide for him. I don't think he looks down on hard working people. I think he just has a large vocabulary. And I admire him for not trying to change his way of speaking to manipulate voters.
John McCain reminds me so much of my father. They are the same age and even look alike. My dad was also an army brat whose dad ran a military hospital and whose brother was career Army. Dad's family also strongly incouraged him to join the Army. Instead he rebelled and joined the Marines. Dad also liked to party and do crazy stunts as a young man and he didn't get terrific grades in school. He was never a POW, however. After he had a small family to support, he got his life together and became a successful teacher. Now, I love my dad but I would not elect him President of the United States.
One of the things that concerns me about McCain is that while he is a friendly, fun, popular and tough guy it doesn't seem like he has done much as a leader. He runs on the platform that he is a war hero, and I believe he is a war hero, but his heroism had more to do with surviving than leading people. By all reports he is also stubborn and has a short fuse. If the president only had to be a toughminded, gritty, traditional, stubborn and painfully honest guy then McCain would be our man. But...I suspect we need a diplomatic, articulate and broadminded President in the White House this term...a president who has the capability of thinking outside the box.
Vote OBAMA!
However, if one takes a moment to see the broader picture not offered by the media and public officials (and does not trust public personalities implicitly), then one could question whether Obama's life and work demonstrates he is "elitist" and "out of touch". Hmmm....He was born in a lower middle class family and had a single mom. He went to suburban public schools most of his young life. He was attracted to working with underprivileged people much of his young life. His campaign goal is to empower and educate voters who don't usually vote. He is a social progressive. He is for establishing measures of control over corporations and the out-sourcing of jobs overseas. He wants to rebuild the infrastructure of the country. He'd like everyone to have health care and personal rights. He seems to be a genuinely spiritual person who can have an intelligent and deeply thoughtful discussion about theology and faith. By golly, he seems to be interested in most of the concerns rural middle class folks might have.
Maybe the problem with Obama is he tends to be too honest. He makes analytical statements without thinking about whether they would be good sound bites. And maybe he is too articulate for some. I don't say that in any demeaning way. But Obama comes across as an educated, intelligent, articulate person. I don't think he acts intelligent to be off putting. I don't think he is using a large vocabulary to demean those who have not had the opportunities for education Obama's relatives worked hard to provide for him. I don't think he looks down on hard working people. I think he just has a large vocabulary. And I admire him for not trying to change his way of speaking to manipulate voters.
John McCain reminds me so much of my father. They are the same age and even look alike. My dad was also an army brat whose dad ran a military hospital and whose brother was career Army. Dad's family also strongly incouraged him to join the Army. Instead he rebelled and joined the Marines. Dad also liked to party and do crazy stunts as a young man and he didn't get terrific grades in school. He was never a POW, however. After he had a small family to support, he got his life together and became a successful teacher. Now, I love my dad but I would not elect him President of the United States.
One of the things that concerns me about McCain is that while he is a friendly, fun, popular and tough guy it doesn't seem like he has done much as a leader. He runs on the platform that he is a war hero, and I believe he is a war hero, but his heroism had more to do with surviving than leading people. By all reports he is also stubborn and has a short fuse. If the president only had to be a toughminded, gritty, traditional, stubborn and painfully honest guy then McCain would be our man. But...I suspect we need a diplomatic, articulate and broadminded President in the White House this term...a president who has the capability of thinking outside the box.
Vote OBAMA!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home