Meeting David Wilson
http://meetingdavidwilson.com/?/About
“Meeting David Wilson” is a thoughtful, moving and powerful film in which a young black filmmaker, David Wilson, while working on a family tree, discovers that the plantation in which his relatives were enslaved is owned by a direct relative of his family's former white slave owner. Amazingly, this man is also named David Wilson. By documenting his own search for understanding and reconciliation, the film maker, David Wilson, accomplishes the challenging goal of creating a multi-level work of art that communicates a message that is both bluntly honest and deeply compassionate. It is a clear message anyone can understand and identify with.
Several thoughts…
I cried many times in the film. The image of Mr. Wilson standing on the African coast in cramped holding cells built for newly captive slaves brought tears to my eyes. At that moment, I was struck with the realization that slavery was the black holocaust. I think I had heard that concept before, but it never struck home. This was not even mentioned in the film, but watching Mr. Wilson’s journey was like watching a Jewish person journey back to a German concentration camp.
After the film, MSNBC held a panel discussion on race. While I found the conversation highly intellectually stimulating, some of the rhetoric seemed to distract me from the heart of the film’s message; which was Americans need to find simple common ground for honest conversations about race. I too take great pleasure in analytical pyrotechnics but, like heavily embellished music, sometimes the melody gets lost in the fireworks. The Academics’ individual monologues and discussions were astute, thought provoking and brilliant in many respects, but I could see how we can barricade ourselves behind thoughts and words…enjoying the kudos from our inner circle…and not really reach out to begin a real dialogue. I guess the next step is establishing a level playing field in regards to communication.
During the discussion, several panelists brought up an idea that was affirmed throughout the film. This idea is that the black community’s strength comes, in part, from their resolve to overcome oppression and their deep and active faith. The black church, it seems, has been one of the only places people of color have felt, and feel, most comfortable discussing these subjects.
As I watch politics today I think of a little girl who walked up the steps of a school day after day, guarded by policemen, while other white people like me yelled and insulted her because she was black. Would I have had that kind of courage? Would my parents have seen the bigger purpose? Would I risk my life to help others? Do I stand up and raise my voice against injustice?
Thank you, both David Wilsons, for speaking compassionately and compellingly through the art of film. Blessings.
“Meeting David Wilson” is a thoughtful, moving and powerful film in which a young black filmmaker, David Wilson, while working on a family tree, discovers that the plantation in which his relatives were enslaved is owned by a direct relative of his family's former white slave owner. Amazingly, this man is also named David Wilson. By documenting his own search for understanding and reconciliation, the film maker, David Wilson, accomplishes the challenging goal of creating a multi-level work of art that communicates a message that is both bluntly honest and deeply compassionate. It is a clear message anyone can understand and identify with.
Several thoughts…
I cried many times in the film. The image of Mr. Wilson standing on the African coast in cramped holding cells built for newly captive slaves brought tears to my eyes. At that moment, I was struck with the realization that slavery was the black holocaust. I think I had heard that concept before, but it never struck home. This was not even mentioned in the film, but watching Mr. Wilson’s journey was like watching a Jewish person journey back to a German concentration camp.
After the film, MSNBC held a panel discussion on race. While I found the conversation highly intellectually stimulating, some of the rhetoric seemed to distract me from the heart of the film’s message; which was Americans need to find simple common ground for honest conversations about race. I too take great pleasure in analytical pyrotechnics but, like heavily embellished music, sometimes the melody gets lost in the fireworks. The Academics’ individual monologues and discussions were astute, thought provoking and brilliant in many respects, but I could see how we can barricade ourselves behind thoughts and words…enjoying the kudos from our inner circle…and not really reach out to begin a real dialogue. I guess the next step is establishing a level playing field in regards to communication.
During the discussion, several panelists brought up an idea that was affirmed throughout the film. This idea is that the black community’s strength comes, in part, from their resolve to overcome oppression and their deep and active faith. The black church, it seems, has been one of the only places people of color have felt, and feel, most comfortable discussing these subjects.
As I watch politics today I think of a little girl who walked up the steps of a school day after day, guarded by policemen, while other white people like me yelled and insulted her because she was black. Would I have had that kind of courage? Would my parents have seen the bigger purpose? Would I risk my life to help others? Do I stand up and raise my voice against injustice?
Thank you, both David Wilsons, for speaking compassionately and compellingly through the art of film. Blessings.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home