The Wolf and the Lamb
From Aesop's FablesA young Lamb strayed from the flock one hot summer day. How glad he was to find a sparkling brook! As he bent his head to drink, he didn't notice a Wolf drinking nearby. But the Wolf saw the lamb and was happy such a fine dinner had come his way. However, the Lamb looked so harmless the Wolf needed a good reason to eat him. So, he growled and said:
"How dare you muddy the water I am drinking?
"Your highness!" the Lamb answered, trembling, "Being downstream, how can I muddy the water you're drinking?"
"Are you calling me a liar?" growled the Wolf. "You bad creature. Now I remember you spread lies about me last year."
The Lamb defended himself. "How could I spread lies last year when I was only born this Spring?"
"Well if it wasn't you then it was your brother!" the Wolf snapped back.
"But I have no brother," cried the Lamb.
"Be silent! The Wolf was in a rage now. "Then it was some other relative of yours. All you sheep are our enemies. You and your shepherds have harmed us countless times. Now, I'm going to settle with you this moment for all their crimes!"
"But, sir!" pleaded the Lamb. "How can I be to blame?"
"Be silent! I'm tired of hearing your silly excuses. Too much time has been spent in useless talk already. But if you want a reason, I'll give you one. You are to blame because I want to eat!"
And with that he leapt on the lamb.
The wicked will always find an excuse for doing what they like.
Labels: Pictures, Quotes, Ruminations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home