Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Celebrating Thanksgiving?

Tuesday, I read "Thanksgiving" books to my first grade class. I found one that presented a pretty accurate description of the hardship and death that first winter and the mistrust the Pilgrims and Native Americans initially shared. Of course, like most children's books, it romanticized the feast that was attended by the Pilgrims and the Native American "King" and his tribe. Finally, it spoke of a peace treaty that lasted about 50 years.

When I finished the book, the most inquisitive and blunt little boy in class said, "If the treaty between the Indians and the Pilgrims only lasted 50 years, then they broke the treaty, right? I thought, "Uh, oh, here we go." I believe in answering children's questions honesty. "Yup!" I said, "The Europeans broke the treaty." Of course, his next question was "Why?". I struggled with the truth...how much should I tell a six year old about greed, imperialism and complete disregard for indigenous cultures and their right to life, liberty and happiness. I think I finally said something like, "Yes, it was a very sad day in the history of our country when settlers broke their agreements with the Native Americans after they helped the Pilgrims survive their first year in America. Even though the Pilgrims did not ask permission to build a settlement in New Plymouth, the Native American leaders were willing to be friends with the immigrants and share their knowledge and goods. The Indian Nations even shared their ideas for a democratic governing system with the founders of our country. That last comment produced a few blank stares. I keep forgetting this is first grade. Just then the bell rang and it was time for recess.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home