The Unedited Life
I like to write rather than talk on the phone because I can edit what I say. Writing is not temporal, slipping from my lips never to be recanted. When writing, I can read back what I've improvised checking, to the degree to which I'm able, for inconsistencies, illogic, cynicism and general foolishness. I can delete and rewrite. In a sense, if I try very hard, I can present my best self in the anonymity and spacious forgiveness of the written word.
But life, as we live it in the moment, is unedited. Time moves relentlessly forward and in a second, we can become our worst selves. Both good and bad become evident as we careen through each day swayed by the winds of emotions, wounds and fears that lead us down paths we could never have imagined traveling. Frankly, as I consider my many weaknesses, I am reminded of my thoughtless selfishness in the "heat of battle". And, while I believe I've rarely been intentionally cruel, I know I've often been heartless. The unedited truth is I'm quite flawed.
I remember telling a friend a while back we're all like flawed gem stones reflecting God's light and Love in our own unique way. Yes, we're scarred, but through our woundedness we can find tender strength as God offers us wholeness in His Spirit. By surrendering our will to God and opening our hearts to Love, God's Spirit teaches us what loving ourselves and others really is.
I think the sad reality I am really seeing for the first time is true Love between people is so much more than the counterfeit emotions our culture hawks. Love is a state of being that begins a process of dynamic transformation within our heart. Once we have opened our heart and accepted God's aweful and beautiful gift of love we are never the same again nor can we accept less than the Truth. Love is a precious gift, a holy reality that sanctifies and beautifies all it touches. It has to be experienced and shared to be understood. Love honestly acknowledges our flaws yet eternally forgives. It is the deepest union possible...breadth, height, width and depth...of body, mind and soul. Love fills and satisfies no matter the circumstance and teaches us to surrender to our Beloved with humility, tenderness and compassion. Love never ends.
But life, as we live it in the moment, is unedited. Time moves relentlessly forward and in a second, we can become our worst selves. Both good and bad become evident as we careen through each day swayed by the winds of emotions, wounds and fears that lead us down paths we could never have imagined traveling. Frankly, as I consider my many weaknesses, I am reminded of my thoughtless selfishness in the "heat of battle". And, while I believe I've rarely been intentionally cruel, I know I've often been heartless. The unedited truth is I'm quite flawed.
I remember telling a friend a while back we're all like flawed gem stones reflecting God's light and Love in our own unique way. Yes, we're scarred, but through our woundedness we can find tender strength as God offers us wholeness in His Spirit. By surrendering our will to God and opening our hearts to Love, God's Spirit teaches us what loving ourselves and others really is.
I think the sad reality I am really seeing for the first time is true Love between people is so much more than the counterfeit emotions our culture hawks. Love is a state of being that begins a process of dynamic transformation within our heart. Once we have opened our heart and accepted God's aweful and beautiful gift of love we are never the same again nor can we accept less than the Truth. Love is a precious gift, a holy reality that sanctifies and beautifies all it touches. It has to be experienced and shared to be understood. Love honestly acknowledges our flaws yet eternally forgives. It is the deepest union possible...breadth, height, width and depth...of body, mind and soul. Love fills and satisfies no matter the circumstance and teaches us to surrender to our Beloved with humility, tenderness and compassion. Love never ends.
Labels: Ruminations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home